After walking the streets of the community of Pinotepa Nacional, in the southern state of Oaxaca, and the epicenter of the 7.2 earthquake which shook Mexico last Friday Feb. 16, Governor, Alejandro Murat, claimed a preliminary survey has thus far reported 1,000 damaged buildings.
Joined by the Minister of Social Development, Eviel Pérez, Murat stated damages have also been reported in 44 municipalities of Oaxaca; for this reason, his administration has requested the Disaster Declaration to the Ministry of the Interior, agency which will assess the extent of the damage to determine the corresponding compensation.
Classes at public and private institutions have been suspended at the disaster area until the damage survey is concluded, according to Murat.
The Governor also said he has issued the order to the Civil Protection Coordination of Oaxaca to coordinate the reconstruction of homes and school buildings, and the implementation of temporary attention centers so citizens can file their reports before the proper authorities.
No fatal victims have been reported, according to the information shared by Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto on his Tweeter account:
“So far, the National Emergency Committee hasn’t reported any fatal victim of the quake.” said Peña on Twitter.
Source: El Universal